Select patients who are at risk of recurrent disc herniation in the spine are now able to receive the Barricaid annular closure device when undergoing a discectomy with Dr. Jonathan R. Stieber, MD. The Barricaid Annular Closing device has been available for many years in Europe and is now FDA-approved. The device has been proven to decrease the risk of re-herniation or disc collapse in certain patients undergoing microdiscectomy.
The Barricaid Annular Closure Device has over eight years of clinical experience and has been proven to be associated with a reduction in re-herniation. In a randomized study of 550 patients, some receiving the Barricaid Annular Closing Device and others lumbar microdisectomy without this added device, the Barricaid Annular Closing Device proved to be superior starting in the early postoperative period and continuing through two-year follow up.
Recurrent disc herniation is a common disease process that can occur in 10 to 15 percent of patients who have undergone primary lumbar disc surgery. During a microdiscectomy, up to 15 percent of the disc will be removed, leaving 85 percent of the natural structure to handle the same stresses of motion. This can leave the area of the spine more vulnerable to recurrent herniation.
Patients are particularly vulnerable to re-herniation within six weeks after a microdiscectomy, but a recurrent herniation can occur decades later. Those with a higher risk of recurrent herniation are those with tall discs or a large annular hole or defect. The Barricaid Annular Closing device helps minimize this vulnerability by blocking the hole in the annulus and attaching it directly to the adjacent vertebrae.
The Barricaid Annular Closing Device may be placed by Dr. Stieber during your microdiscectomy to help prevent a recurrence of disc herniation.
Microdiscectomy with our without Barricaid is generally performed as an outpatient procedure. Some postoperative activity modification is recommended during the early healing process. Patients are routinely able to return to office-type work within a week.
Dr. Jonathan R. Stieber is an acclaimed, board-certified orthopedic spine surgeon, who has been collaborating on the research into this groundbreaking surgical technique and offers this option to patients suffering from a painful herniated disc, requiring surgery to restore function and quality of life.
Dr. Stieber provides everything necessary for a speedy recovery including any aftercare instructions and helpful exercises. Follow-up appointments will be scheduled as appropriate, and Dr. Stieber will be available to answer any questions or concerns regarding the placement of the Barricaid Annular Closure Device when performing a microdiscectomy.
Our patients' health and safety is our number one priority. Our office continues to be open for all email, telephone, and online inquiries. You can call us at 646-916-3962 or contact us via email to schedule your virtual telemedicine or in-person visit. Our doctors will be holding regular office hours for virtual video consultations and follow-up visits that permit you to stay in the comfort of your own home, utilizing your computer, tablet, or mobile device.
Additionally, we will continue to see select patients in the office for consultation and follow-up visits, including preoperative and postoperative appointments. Our doctors continue to perform procedures in our private, free-standing surgery center that offers an array of outpatient surgical services to treat spinal issues such as acute back pain, disc herniations, sciatica, and pinched nerves in the back or neck. We are also able to offer clean and efficient on-site x-ray capabilities in our office.
Please know that we join our community in taking all advised precautions* to limit the spread of the Coronavirus and ensure the safety of patients and staff.
Call today to schedule a consultation and explore your options with the Spine Center at OrthoManhattan.
The following precautionary measures have been established to ensure the safest environment possible:
Get Started Send Us A Message